Joe loves has always had a love for cars, people, and God; now he leads a team of volunteers that fix vehicles, for people who cannot afford to repair them, and through that has a chance to share the story of Jesus with them. Shift Garage started out as a service project of Fountain Springs Church but in 2018 both the church and Joe decided to let Shift Garage grow even more. Today Joe is preparing to move to Sioux Falls, SD and start another Shift Garage there.
Shift Garage mostly does a lot of vehicle repair, they are now doing some detailing and other services. Check out their Facebook page or website for more information. One of Shifts main goals or missions is to reduce or eliminate Generational Poverty in Rapid City.
Joe has a huge heart for the community and that showed off during the current Covid-19 crisis. On Saturdays they steam cleaned and sanitized vehicles for both Meals on Wheels, RCPD, and the Pennington County Sheriffs Department.
- What inspired you or led you into your current career?
Wanted to serve others through a car ministry. Through this car ministry they will also be showing people who Jesus is.
- What is your favorite restaurant in Rapid City, and what do you love there?
LongHorn Steakhouse – I’m a Montana boy and it is hard to pass up a good steak.
- How long have you lived or worked in Rapid City?
I’ve lived in Rapid City for 9 years
- Who is the most interesting person you’ve met here in Rapid City?
Grant the Cashier- He is always happy and in a good mood. If you have had the good fortune of him helping you, you will understand what I mean.
- If you could travel anywhere in the world right now, where would it be? And why?
Dominican Republic- It was the most relaxing trip ever
- What is your favorite movie?
- What advice would you give a crowd of people?
Trust in God- It is not a sin to be concerned but it is to worry. You need to give it to God before it comes to that.
- What is something on your bucket list?
Drive Route 66 End to End in an old car or truck before it is gone or not there anymore.
- What is your favorite music/ 3 bands you would like to see (dead or alive)?
Rap My Top 3 Favorite Bands are
- Biggie Smalls
- The Reverend Horton Heat
3- Stray Cats
- What current / former local business makes you the most nostalgic about Rapid City?
Jerry’s Cakes and Donuts
- Choosing anyone alive and a non-relative: with whom would you love to have lunch with? Why? Where in Rapid City?
Grant Cardone- He has a smart business mind and I would love to learn from him, pick his brain, ask questions, just get to know him better. Of course we would have to eat at LongHorn Steakhouse.
- What is your favorite thing or something unique about Rapid City
The Black Hills is one of my favorites probably because they are so close to Rapid City.
- Where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years?
Living in Sioux Falls, SD, looking over 2 Successful Shift Locations and Maybe More…
- What is something interesting that most people don’t know about you?
I have a collection of ugly hippopotamus figurines. People have brought them to me from around the world.
- What are 3 words or phrases that come to mind when you think of the word HOME?
Safe, Warm, and Relaxing
- If you had a full time staff member that was fully paid for, whom would you choose? Chef, Housekeeper, Driver, Coach, Physical Fitness Trainer, or Nanny?
Favorite Book- Rich Dad Poor Dad – by Robert Kiyosaki
Favorite Bible Verse- Philippians 4: 13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.